DAILY UPDATE #250 -- 4/23/2021
- NEW ITEMS
- RETURN TO THE SITE FOR CENTRAL OFFICE EMPLOYEES
A meeting was held yesterday with central office employees to begin the discussion about how work will been done in central office and a return to the physical site for central office employees. AASD was briefed in advance of the meeting. It appears, with the exception of “public facing departments,” department/division heads will have the ability to work with staff to determine if the work can be done remotely or if a staggered return is necessary, etc. As a reminder, the MOU through July 31 states that all meetings are to be held virtually, so department staff meetings, etc., must still be held virtually even if staff return. All of the health and safety protocols must be followed for employees returning to the physical site. If any central office AASD member needs an ADA accommodation or hardship accommodation, please contact AASD Executive Director, Donis Coronel.
- DISTRICT COMMUNICATION
- The following communication was sent to principals on April 22:
- ATTENDANCE PROCEDURES - UPDATE
- We value the feedback received from principals and educators regarding our current attendance taking procedures.
- We understand the need to have an accurate count of students that are participating in Online and Onsite/Hybrid learning.
- Our District team will be modifying our attendance taking procedures with an updated process, and it will be shared with you in tomorrow’s (4/23) Principal Update.
- Thank you for your continued collaboration and ongoing feedback.
- The following communication was sent to principals today, Friday, April 23:
- ATTENDANCE CODE IN POWERSCHOOL - NEW
- Effective Wednesday, April 28, 2021, a new PowerSchool Attendance Code will be implemented:
- This new code will help to ensure our attendance records accurately reflect the number of students who are physically onsite.
- Please see revised attendance procedures included here.
- PowerSchool users will be notified of these changes via email.
- For attendance related questions, contact Pupil Accounting Department at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- SERVING STUDENTS AT OUR SITES SURVEY - REMINDER
- Thank you for completing the survey as we gather information on how we are serving students at our sites.
- If you have not yet done so, please complete this survey by Friday April 23, 2021.
- PRINCIPAL UPDATE REVISED FORMAT
- We added a new section below titled “Summer Experience” to share out any Summer School and ESY updates in an organized manner.
- 2021-22 FACTS FOR PARENTS ORDER FORM
- The 2021-22 Facts for Parents handout is being developed.
- It contains information that the district is required to provide annually to parents and will be printed in English and Spanish.
- It can only be provided electronically if requested. Otherwise, parents must receive a hard copy at the beginning of the school year.
- To ensure you receive adequate copies, please complete the order form no later than Friday, May 21.
- If you have questions or need more information, contact Linda Zintz in Communications.
- PARENT COMMUNICATION SAMPLES
- The Communications Department assists with communication about all matters that affect our schools.
- Here are sample emails/letters covering various topics such as Facilities/Construction; Death of Staff/Student; Safety (Gas Leak, Lockdown, Threats) and samples of frequently-issued parent communication:
- These templates can help you communicate to your stakeholders when issues arise.
- EXTRA GROCERY FOOD DISTRIBUTION FOR 4/26-4/30
- Extra grocery items will be available (while supplies last) at our 19 curbside meal locations on a rotating basis. Grocery giveaway days range from Food Bank Food Drives, USDA meal boxes, and fresh produce bags.
- Please share this information with your school families: Grocery Item Schedule for Week of 4/26-4/30
- SUMMER EXP
- LEVEL UP SD
- In addition to our “Summer Experience” academic programs, we have partnered with VAPA, CCTE, PrimeTime, and the San Diego Foundation to offer enrichment opportunities at our Summer Experience school sites and within the community.
- Enrollment for summer enrichment programs and OPEN enrollment for the “Summer Experience” academic program will be part of the Level UP SD website and handled centrally.
- Sites should continue to encourage Priority Enrollment students to fill out the Priority Enrollment application for the “Summer Experience” academic program. If sites need assistance with Priority Enrollment or tagging students, please contact Jen Roberson.
- Summer Experience Voluntary Office Hours:
- EXTENDED SCHOOL YEAR (ESY) OFFICE HOURS FOR PRINCIPALS
- Special Education ESY Office Hours for Elementary and Secondary Principals
- Beginning April 30th and on alternating Fridays from 12:00-12:30
- Click here for Zoom meeting information and ESY Staff Link.
- ELEMENTARY UPDATES
Early Learning Application Window
- The NSEO Early Learning Enrollment team will begin accepting applications for 2021-2022 on Monday, May 3rd using a new online platform through our vendor Scribbles.
- Training (April 28th & 29th) will be offered to all site enrollment staff to ensure your staff is readily available to assist parents with the application.
- All elementary enrollment staff, especially those at sites with early learning programs (4TK, half day for 3- and 4-year-olds) are urged to attend this important training.
- Click here for additional information. Any questions, please contact email@example.com.
- SECONDARY UPDATES
Sports Update: Indoor Spectators
- Based on guidance from CDPH, SDUSD plans to move forward with allowing two spectators per participating student-athlete to watch indoor CIF-sanctioned athletic events.
- Spectators shall be limited to members of the student-athlete’s specific household.
- Spectators can attend indoor CIF sporting events, while following social-distancing protocols and wearing face masks in buildings with adequate ventilation.
- We will follow the latest court rulings and the health standards in our community.
- OTHER NEWS
Schools Prepare to Tackle Massive Mental Health Needs (VOSD, April 22)
SD County Schools lost more than 12,000 students this year (SD Union Tribune, April 22)
SDUSD solutions for in-person learning (KPBS, April 22)
Yes, vaccines block most transmission of COVID-19 (National Geographic, April 2021)
- THE CERTIFICATED WORKLOAD WORK GROUP IS MEETING NEXT WEEK. PLEASE SHARE YOUR WORKLOAD CONCERNS BY CLICKING THE LINK BELOW. The certificated workload work group will be meeting April 29. Please share CURRENT workload concerns (principals, vice principals and central office certificated administrators). While there are certainly “past” issues, please only share CURRENT concerns regarding workload. Your AASD Certificated Workload Work Group representatives are: Donis Coronel (AASD), Peg Crane (Elem), Brandon Lemmon (VP), Susan Levy (Middle), MC Patton (Elem), Carly Romero (Elem), Stacey Simpson (VP), Ethan Williams (Sr High) and Michelle Spence (Central Office Certificated Managers).
The deadline to take this very brief survey is April 25 at 5pm.
- HOTLINE FOR AASD MEMBERS – A VERY USEFUL TOOL
The hotline AASD negotiated with the District is available to all AASD unit members (classified and certificated) who are charged with enforcing the health and safety policies and procedures at the school site. Call the hotline when you need immediate assistance when conflicts arise, clarification is needed, or decisions must be made regarding health and safety matters. Once we have staff and students back on campus, issues may arise where site AASD members don’t have direction or an answer. Call the hotline for help! Put the hotline number in your cell phone so you have it when needed.
This hotline is for ALL AASD represented members, both classified and certificated. The hotline phone number is (619) 981-0760. The hotline is available on all District workdays, Monday through Friday, from 7:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. In the rare event that a message must be left, all calls will be returned promptly, within the same day. The hotline is answered by our AASD member, Brian Kenworthy, Operations Specialist who has access to materials and district leadership as necessary.
- SPECIAL GRATITUDE
If an AASD member has a department or individual that deserves special recognition during this time of crisis, please use the link below for reporting issues/questions/concerns/gratitude to show your gratitude for the department or individual. AASD will publish that special thanks in our next Daily Update.
- AASD OFFICE CLOSURE
AASD will be sending out a Daily Update, Monday-Friday, throughout the return to instruction/school reopening period. The Weekly Update will continue as usual on Thursdays with the typical news and information for AASD members. The AASD Office continues to remain closed. AASD staff are working remotely and can be reached via the contact information at the end of this Update.
AASD has created a Google Form for AASD Members to report issues, questions or concerns regarding work-related issues, COVID-19, return to instruction and school reopening. AASD will provide answers to issues, questions or concerns submitted as answers become available. You may also share your gratitude for another AASD member, district personnel, etc., via the same link.
The link to share issues/questions/concerns/gratitude is:
Please do not share this link outside of AASD membership (classified and certificated management/supervisors). The link will be active until this crisis is over.
NOTE: All previous AASD Daily Updates and Weekly Updates are located on the AASD Website www.aasdcs.org if you need to refer back to them for information.
- DISTRICT WEBSITE
For your convenience, the District has created a list of Frequently Asked Questions. To access that list, click the link https://sites.google.com/sandi.net/covid19/staff-info
- AASD CONTACT INFORMATION
Executive Director, Donis Coronel -- firstname.lastname@example.org 619-813-8792
Office Manager, Linda Crout-Hamel -- email@example.com 619-861-2701
Office Clerk, Jim Costello -- firstname.lastname@example.org
Please keep informed via the District’s website www.sandi.net, Daily Updates from AASD and via the AASD Website www.aasdcs.org.