DAILY UPDATE #254 -- 4/29/2021
- NEW ITEMS
- PLEASE NOTE: BEGINNING NEXT WEEK (WEEK OF MAY 3), THE DAILY UPDATE WILL BE PRODUCED ON TUESDAY’S AND THURSDAY’S ONLY
For the past almost 14 months, the Daily Update has been a valuable daily communication to our members. At this time, we feel that five days a week is no longer necessary and so we will now produce the Daily Update on Tuesday and Thursday only. We will continue to produce the Daily Update two days a week until it is no longer needed. If we must communicate an urgent matter to the membership on a Monday, Wednesday or Friday, we will send a Special Update. Thank you.
- SUMMER SCHOOL/SUMMER EXPERIENCE/ESY SURVEY REGARDING COORDINATION/WORKING
Members have contacted AASD regarding the survey that went to certificated AASD members regarding their desire to work/coordinate the summer programs. Some members have stated that they initially responded one way on the survey (will work or no thank you) and have now changed their mind once additional information has come forward regarding the program.
Per Acacia Thede, HR, the survey is still open and any principal or vice principal can go in and submit an updated survey if they have had a change of mind. Please direct any questions to Acacia or e-mail her (email@example.com) if you need the link to the survey.
- Q and A (Wednesday, April 28, 2021)
Q: (This question was submitted in February and AASD just received the response) The following information was shared regarding Tier 4 Home Visits: Due to the County being in the most restrictive Purple Tier for COVID, Youth Welfare and Attendance staff will not be completing home visits and will refrain from going to student's home until the purple tier restrictions have been lifted. Does this apply to school site staff and completing home visits as well?
A: (Answer provided by the district) Home Visits will continue to be voluntary for school staff in Phase Two. If any staff member continues to volunteer to conduct home visits, the home visit protocol and process continues to apply.
Home Visiting Safety
Q: It’s interesting that the district closed the principal interest survey for summer school BEFORE they announced this crazy extra summer school business. They knew they were going to announce this but couldn’t tell us in any of the daily principal office hours or our principal updates? They couldn’t tell the principals in any of the summer school meetings that this was coming?! Once again we are left out of the conversation. I’ve received so many parent emails already and I’ve got zero answers (again) because we are not trusted members of the district. This falls on our backs to handle. This is why they held off on telling us until after the survey was due. It needs to be sent out to principals again because many of us now do not want to work it even though we had answered we would in the survey. I’m not adding this to my plate too. The survey needs to be reopened to principals with the old answers tossed. As usual, not fair to principals. Once again we find things out from a news story or press release. Once again the district will apologize and say they are sorry and that it won’t happen again but yet here we are again.
A: (Answer provided by the district) For questions regarding administrator staffing for the Summer Experience Level Up, please contact Acacia Thede. (Additional note from AASD – If any principal completed the survey and would like to change their response, please contact Acacia Thede. If there are any problems in changing the response, please notify Donis Coronel at AASD for assistance.)
- DISTRICT COMMUNICATION
The following communication was sent to principals on April 28:
- PLANNING FOR FALL 2021
- Last night at the Board Meeting, both Board President Richard Barrera and Superintendent Cindy Marten clarified the district’s plans for the fall. Here is what they shared:
San Diego Unified is planning for a full return to full-day, in-person learning, five days a week, for the 2021-22 school year, beginning in August of 2021. All of the work we are doing today is in service of welcoming the students back to campus now, in the summer, and in the fall. Our fall programming will not include a hybrid model for students and our educators will not be required to simultaneously teach both our onsite instructional model and our online instructional model.
We are in the process of developing a robust online learning program for students who will choose an online instructional model. Therefore, we will be able to accommodate students and families who choose to remain at home based on health and safety needs and students and families with sensitive medical needs. We look forward to an amazing year of learning, as we welcome back our students and families with excitement, enthusiasm, and joy.
- HR UPDATE
- Please read this HR update for important information on:
- Temporary rate increase for Visiting Teachers and Nurses.
- Visiting Teachers eligible for Tutoring Hourly pay.
- Substitute Staffing for Visiting Teachers and Classified Substitutes.
- CASELOAD GRIEVANCE SETTLEMENT
- N95 FIT TESTING
- The Safety Office has tentatively scheduled a N95 fit testing event for: Tuesday, May 4, at PPO.
- If you are interested, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org with your Employee ID, Full Name, Work Location, and Title or call (858) 627-7174 for an appointment time.
- HOONUIT: NEW FILTER FEATURE
- Hoonuit’s new “Instructional Model” filter allows users to review Enrollment, Attendance, and Assessment results for students in either Hybrid or Online Programs.
- Click on the blue filter button for “Instructional Model” and select “Hybrid Instruction” or “Online Instruction.”
- Please note: Results are only as accurate as the date entered in PowerSchool for Special Programs.
- For students with two records, Hybrid and online, site staff need to update PowerSchool.
- Enter Exit Date if a student has switched programs.
- Create a Special Program record for any students who are missing them.
- For more information see Adding Special Programs Job Aid.
- If you have any questions, please contact email@example.com.
- CONFERENCE TICKETS AVAILABLE
- The California Association of African American Superintendents and Administrators and SDCOE has generously donated registration tickets to attend the Annual CAAASA Conference from May 26th-28th.
- SPECIAL EDUCATION: IEP MEETING TIPS
- This Tip sheet provides suggestions and best practices for conducting ZOOM IEP meetings.
- Please use this as a guide to ensure parents are being provided with opportunities for meaningful participation in the IEP process.
- If you have additional questions please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- E3 GROWTH AND DEVELOPMENT SYSTEM
- To ensure you have sufficient information to make a well-informed decision regarding completion of the E3 process this year, we are providing you the following documents:
- For further questions, contact email@example.com or E3@sandi.net.
- SECONDARY UPDATES
AMPLIFY ELA PD Session - Finishing up the School Year
- Whether you’ve attended every training, or this is your first, come to our last session this year!
- We’ll cover Quests and Novel Guides that are great for the end of the year even for students and teachers new to Amplify. Then we’ll review Amplify Basics including platform navigation for teachers and students both in-person and hybrid learning scenarios.
- Zoom Registration Link | Amplify ELA Newsletter
- SPECIAL GRATITUDE
If an AASD member has a department or individual that deserves special recognition during this time of crisis, please use the link below for reporting issues/questions/concerns/gratitude to show your gratitude for the department or individual. AASD will publish that special thanks in our next Daily Update.
Received from an AASD Member in Good Standing – “I want to thank Sarah Ott, Executive Director Special Education and Jessica Falk-Michelli, Executive Director Labor Relations for supporting my needs directly, efficiently and in support of the school. They took the time to advocate for students and the site and I am so thankful!”
- HOTLINE FOR AASD MEMBERS – A VALUABLE TOOL
The hotline AASD negotiated with the District is available to all AASD unit members (classified and certificated) who are charged with enforcing the health and safety policies and procedures at the school site. Call the hotline when you need immediate assistance when conflicts arise, clarification is needed, or decisions must be made regarding health and safety matters. Once we have staff and students back on campus, issues may arise where site AASD members don’t have direction or an answer. Call the hotline for help! Put the hotline number in your cell phone so you have it when needed.
This hotline is for ALL AASD represented members, both classified and certificated. The hotline phone number is (619) 981-0760. The hotline is available on all District workdays, Monday through Friday, from 7:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. In the rare event that a message must be left, all calls will be returned promptly, within the same day. The hotline is answered by our AASD member, Brian Kenworthy, Operations Specialist who has access to materials and district leadership as necessary.
- AASD OFFICE CLOSURE
AASD will be sending out a Daily Update, Tuesdays and Thursdays, throughout the return to instruction/school reopening period. The Weekly Update will continue as usual on Thursdays with the typical news and information for AASD members. The AASD Office continues to remain closed. AASD staff are working remotely and can be reached via the contact information at the end of this Update.
AASD has created a Google Form for AASD Members to report issues, questions or concerns regarding work-related issues, COVID-19, return to instruction and school reopening. AASD will provide answers to issues, questions or concerns submitted as answers become available. You may also share your gratitude for another AASD member, district personnel, etc., via the same link.
The link to share issues/questions/concerns/gratitude is:
Please do not share this link outside of AASD membership (classified and certificated management/supervisors). The link will be active until this crisis is over.
NOTE: All previous AASD Daily Updates and Weekly Updates are located on the AASD Website www.aasdcs.org if you need to refer back to them for information.
- DISTRICT WEBSITE
For your convenience, the District has created a list of Frequently Asked Questions. To access that list, click the link https://sites.google.com/sandi.net/covid19/staff-info
- AASD CONTACT INFORMATION
Executive Director, Donis Coronel -- firstname.lastname@example.org 619-813-8792
Office Manager, Linda Crout-Hamel -- email@example.com 619-861-2701
Office Clerk, Jim Costello -- firstname.lastname@example.org
Please keep informed via the District’s website www.sandi.net, Daily Updates from AASD and via the AASD Website www.aasdcs.org.