AASD Weekly Update 03-15-18
SPRING CONFERENCE IS MARCH 20 !
Mark you calendar now and sign up via ERO for the AASD/SDUSD Spring Conference (mandatory attendance for all AASD members). Our annual AASD/SDUSD Spring Conference will be held on March 20, 2018, from 7:00 AM to 12 noon, at the Scottish Rite Event Center in Mission Valley. Our theme this year is Find Balance – Keep Moving – a theme that resonates with all of us. As the great Albert Einstein said, “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving.” The AASD Professional Development Committee, co-chaired by John Hensley and Carlos Ramirez, has worked hard to create a morning of professional development and networking that provides AASD members with useful and helpful insight and information to assist with finding balance and to help us all keep moving. Click here to view the flyer, which provides all of the information about the event, and sign up via ERO soon! This event is co-hosted by AASD and SDUSD. The complimentary breakfast is sponsored by CALPRO and Mission Federal Credit Union
. There is overflow parking available at the church at 2111 Camino del Rio South, lower level parking area. The church is ½ block east of the Scottish Rite Event Center
- BARGAINING UPDATES
The next bargaining session is March 21.
For previous Bargaining updates, please click here to view the documents
- ELEMENTARY PRINCIPALS – COULD YOUR KINDERS BENEFIT FROM AASD'S 50/50 RAFFLE FUNDRAISER? If you have attended some of AASD’s social events over the years, you may have participated in the 50/50 raffle. The proceeds from the 50/50 raffle – which began in 2014 – have been used to supply incoming Kindergarten (and TK) students at a deserving elementary school with a wonderful homework kit full of school supplies.
If you would like your elementary site to be considered for the Homework Kits for the opening of the 2018-19 school year, please complete the application and send it to the AASD office to Jim Costello email@example.com no later than April 30, 2018. The Member Relations Committee will review the applications and select the next school to receive the Homework Kits. The lucky school(s) will be announced at this year’s Summerfest event on June 15. Please click this link to access the application.
CONGRATULATIONS, CARLOS RAMIREZ, PROGRAM MANAGER, OFFICE OF LANGUAGE ACQUISITION.
AASD Professional Development Committee Co-Chair, Carlos Ramirez, was recently honored by being awarded the Western Association of Educational Opportunity Personnel (WESTOP) California Achievers’ award for demonstrating leadership, integrity, hard work, promoting success, valuing education and equity. The award was presented in Honolulu, Hawaii and Carlos’ family was present to celebrate the occasion. Carlos previously served as the Vice Principal at Hoover High School (as well as other teaching/administrative positions) and is currently the Program Manager for the Office of Language Acquisition. Click the links below for pictures of the event and to see the Ramirez family enjoying their Hawaii trip. Photo 1, Photo2, Photo3. Congratulations, Carlos!
- CERTIFICATED WORKLOAD UPDATES .
For previous workload updates click here. AASD is keeping certificated workload at the forefront and will continue to advocate for our members!
AASD now acknowledges deaths of our members, retirees, or their immediate family members via the Weekly Update. If you have information on a death to be reported in the AASD Weekly Update, please contact any of the staff at the AASD office with the information. We appreciate your help with this – we don’t always know right away when a death has occurred or the information on services.
AASD has no information to report at this time.
- JOB POSTINGS FOR CERTIFICATED POSITIONS AND CLASSIFIED POSITIONS IN THE AASD UNIT. AASD has been asked to publish the job postings in our Weekly Update. AASD also suggests that all applicants (classified and certificated) mark their calendars to check weekly for new job postings each Monday. This way, you will not miss out on a posting you might be interested in (as all jobs in the AASD unit must be posted for 10 days). Additionally, jobs in other units will be posted.
AASD-REPRESENTED CERTIFICATED JOB POSTINGS
Program Manager, Online Learning. Closes 3/23/18
Program Manager, Integrated Advanced Studies and School Innovation. Closes 3/23
Program Manager, STEM Innovation. Closes 3/23
AASD-REPRESENTED CLASSIFIED JOB POSTINGS
None at this time.
- AASD DISTINGUISHED LEADER AWARDS. Each year, AASD honors a number of members as AASD Distinguished Leaders. Please consider nominating a colleague for AASD Distinguished Leader Award. We have wonderful co-workers throughout our AASD bargaining unit and in our retiree ranks who are worthy of recognition and the AASD Member Relations Committee is hopeful that you will take the time to nominate someone who goes "Above and Beyond!" You can nominate a co-worker from any category. The winners will be recognized at the annual AASD Summerfest on June 15.
The following link will lead you to the nomination form. Complete the form and fax it to AASD (619-295-6274) or scan it and send it as an attachment in an email message to Jim Costello (firstname.lastname@example.org
) with the subject line of "Distinguished Leader Form.” Nominations are due by April 24, 2018. Click below for a link to the form and criteria.
- NOTICE OF CHANGE - SAVE THE DATE FOR THE AASD SUMMERFEST EVENT!
June 15, 2018, 5-10 pm, AASD Summerfest, Marina Village, Seaside Room. (the event was originally scheduled for June 22.)
- NEW AND IMPROVED AASD WEBSITE! Our AASD website is now up and running and re-vamped! Click here www.aasdcs.org to view our website. The website will be kept up-to-date and current for all of our members (regular members, retirees and affiliate members). If you have any feedback on the new website, please e-mail email@example.com with your comments. We hope our new website will be a great resource for you!
- SAVE THE DATES FOR AASD EVENTS! The following dates are for AASD-sponsored activities during the 2017-18 school year. Please mark your calendar now and save the date. These events are for all AASD members - Regular, Affiliate and Retired. More information will be forthcoming regarding each event. Our union is only as strong as the membership and your participation!
March 20, 2018, 7:00 am-12:30 pm, Spring P.D. Conference, Scottish Rite Event Center, Mission Valley. Click here to view flyer.
May 10, 2018, 4-7 pm, AASD Spring Membership Meeting, Marina Village, Catalina Room (new location)
June 15, 2018, 5-10 pm, AASD Summerfest, Marina Village, Seaside Room
ESTATE PLANNING – DISCOUNT FOR AASD MEMBERS!
AASD is pleased to announce a new partnership with Greg Runge, Estate Planning Attorney. Greg is an estate planning attorney with just under ten years of experience practicing in the areas of wills, trusts, durable powers of attorney and advance health care directives. In addition to his legal work, Greg is also currently a Lieutenant with a local police department, where he is in his 18th year of service as a sworn officer. As a public employee, Greg is very aware of the unique estate planning issues that can come into play with our members. Greg has focused his legal practice on providing essential estate planning services to public employees and their families at an affordable rate. This benefit is available to all AASD Members, AASD Members-Police Management Association (PMA), AASD Affiliate Members and AASD Retired Members. Greg is offering this service to our members for a flat fee of $750, which is 50% off the going rate for estate planning (very complex or very large estates may require a higher fee that would be individually negotiated with the member). To contact Greg Runge, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or telephone (858) 395-4011 and be sure to mention you are an AASD member so you receive the discounted rate.
- AASD IS AWARDING $500 SCHOLARSHIPS TO CHILDREN OF OUR AASD MEMBERS! Sons/daughters (including step-sons and step-daughters) of AASD members who are graduating seniors are eligible for AASD Fran Swank scholarships for $500 each to be used towards higher education (college). All who apply and are qualified will receive a $500 scholarship. The application submission deadline is April 17, 2018. Please click the link for information on how to apply
CALCOAST CARES! ANNOUNCING SCHOLARSHIPS FOR FOSTER STUDENTS AND COLLEGE-BOUND HIGH SCHOOL SENIORS!
Please review CalCoast's flyer on available scholarship information. Scholarship applications are available at calcoastcu.org. All applications must be received by, or postmarked no later than, March 31, 2018.
for the Foster student application, and
for the College-bound high school student application.
- SCHOLARSHIPS FOR HIGH SCHOOL SENIORS IN SAN DIEGO AND IMPERIAL COUNTIES. Region 18, Association of California School Administrators (ACSA) is offering four $1,000 scholarships to four high school seniors. Please click here for the application. The deadline to apply is March 31, 2018.
- SAN DIEGO ALUMNAE PANHELLENIC - 2018 MERIT SCHOLARSHIP APPLICATIONTION!
To apply for a San Diego Alumnae Panhellenic 2018 Merit Scholarship, please:
Complete the application found on www.sdaph.org
Provide one letter of recommendation from a teacher, counselor or other mentor
Provide a high school transcript to include the last semester completed (unofficial is accepted as it needs to be emailed)
Plan to attend a four-year institution with NPC Sororities (Joining a sorority in college is not required, but encouraged…however, the school must host NPC Sorority chapters on campus)
Email completed application, letter of recommendation and transcript to nicolef1983@yahoo
You can learn more about NPC and opportunities to pursue membership in an NPC member organization by visiting www.npcwomen.org and the Greek Life website at the college or university you plan to attend.
PLEASE DO NOT CHANGE APPLICATION FORMAT.
**DEADLINE IS Monday, April 2, 2018.**
THE COMPLETED APPLICATION, LETTER OF RECOMMENDATION AND TRANSCRIPT MUST BE RECEIVED BY THIS DATE.
After receiving applications, the top candidates will be interviewed on April 28, 2018. Winners are invited to attend the scholarship luncheon on Saturday, June 2, 2018. Please save these important dates!
CONTINUED MEMBERSHIP IN THE ASSOCIATION OF CALIFORNIA SCHOOL ADMINISTRATORS (ACSA).
As was reported in June, the District notified AASD that they will no longer pay their share (50%) of the ACSA dues for AASD members. For the past three years, AASD and SDUSD had an agreement whereupon the District paid 50% of the cost of ACSA dues and AASD paid 50% of the cost of ACSA dues. All AASD members were then provided with membership in ACSA, as well as professional development activities, as part of the agreement. The agreement ended 6/30/2017.
There are many benefits of continuing to be an ACSA Member – as detailed in this handout (click on link).
ACSA is offering a one-year special for AASD members of membership for one dollar ($1) per day. Dues are deducted 10 times a year (September-June).
If AASD members are interested in continuing membership with ACSA, please complete the application (click on link)
and return it via e-mail to Deborah Burke, ACSA, at email@example.com. Please review the attached summary of benefits sheet for ACSA membership (click here).
- PERSONAL EMAIL ADDRESS. AASD communicates with members via personal e-mail address. We do not communicate via "sandi.net." If your personal email address changes, please remember to notify AASD by e-mailing our Office Clerk, Jim Costello, at Jim@aasdcs.org .
- AASD PROFESSIONAL GROWTH GRANT. The Administrators Association San Diego City Schools (AASD), in conjunction with the San Diego Unified School District, provides financial grants to members to assist them in their professional growth. Unit members who participate in professional development activities related to job-connected skills or potential careers with the District may qualify to have the cost of registration fees defrayed by available funds up to $100. This includes ACSA-sponsored Academies, Conferences and Institutes.
Click here f
or more details.
- "BENEFIT HUB" FROM WILD AT WORK. Check out the discount program by Wild at Work – BenefitHub! All AASD members have access to thousands of discounts which allows you to save on everything from movies and theme parks to restaurants and sporting events.
This free service provides discounts to theme parks, hotels, and entertainment destinations (i.e., San Diego Zoo, San Diego Zoo Safari Park, Universal Studios, Sea World, etc.). Register online to take advantage of a variety of terrific discounts. Special offers and discounts are always changing, so check back frequently. You can purchase and print tickets from the convenience of your home. Visit their website at www.wildatwork.com (you will be redirected to the "Benefit Hub" website). Click on “Register” and under “Employees,” enter “AASD” for the company name. If you have any questions about registering, or encounter any problems, call the AASD office for assistance. If you have any questions about or
need assistance with the Wild at Work or Benefit Hub website, you can contact Support at (866) 664-4621.
- DISCOUNT MOVIE TICKETS.
AASD has both AMC and Regal Entertainment Group (Regal/Edwards/UA) movie passes available to members. Regal tickets are $8.50 each. These passes have no expiration date and are unrestricted, so they can be used any time and for newly-released movies.
The AMC "Black" tickets are $10.25 each, have no expiration date, and do not have any restrictions. Contact AASD to purchase tickets or if you have any questions.
- SEE'S CANDIES. See's Candies gift certificates are available for purchase at AASD. A gift certificate for one pound of chocolates is now $16.90 each. They have no expiration date. The current retail amount for a pound of chocolates is $19.90, which saves you $3.00 per pound.
Administrators Association of San Diego (AASD) members qualify for quantity discounts on See's candy at the Quantity Discount Rosecrans store. To redeem your discount, show a valid ID; your AASD member card, and provide our account number 6472612. This discount is only valid at 3751 Rosecrans Street, San Diego, CA 92110.