AASD Weekly Update 04-12-18
TOMORROW IS THE LAST DAY TO VOTE! AASD CONTRACT SETTLEMENT FOR BOTH CLASSIFIED AND CERTIFICATED! On March 21, the AASD bargaining teams reached a tentative agreement (TA) with the District on a 3-year contract! The highlights of the TA and copies of the actual language are summarized below:
Click here for the Classified Summary.
Click here for the Certificated Summary.
The AASD bargaining team worked diligently from Spring 2017 until March 2018 on bargaining these changes and to get an equity clause (“me-too”) to protect our members, as well as bargaining the change from a permanent work year reduction to a temporary furlough for the benefit of our members. As you likely know, on April 4, SDEA and the District reached a tentative agreement for a 3-year contract which includes compensation and benefits that were not offered to AASD. However, your AASD leadership is already in contact with the District leadership to discuss how the “me-too” language applies to our AASD members. However, the “me-too” language only applies if the AASD membership votes to ratify our contract.
- IMPORTANT: Voting by the AASD membership to ratify the contract will occur as follows below. In order to ratify, we must have a 50% plus 1 affirmative vote. This is your union and your contract. Please take the time to vote. Voting will be held at the AASD Office, 3505 Camino del Rio South #264 (Padre Plaza/Mission Valley), San Diego CA 92108 as follows:
Thursday, April 12, 2018 from 7:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.
Friday, April 13, 2018 from 7:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
- Note: For AASD members assigned to year-round schools, who are unable to vote in person during the voting period, please call the AASD office to vote via phone. This option is only available to those assigned to year round schools.
DEADLINE IS APRIL 17! AASD IS AWARDING $500 SCHOLARSHIPS TO CHILDREN OF OUR AASD MEMBERS! Sons/daughters (including step-sons and step-daughters) of AASD members who are graduating seniors are eligible for AASD Fran Swank Scholarships for $500 each to be used towards higher education (college). All who apply and are qualified will receive a $500 scholarship. The application submission deadline is April 17, 2018. Please click the link for information on how to apply.
- CERTIFICATED WORKLOAD UPDATES.
For previous workload updates click here. AASD is keeping certificated workload at the forefront and will continue to advocate for our members!
CONDOLENCES. AASD now acknowledges deaths of our members, retirees, or their immediate family members via the Weekly Update. If you have information on a death to be reported in the AASD Weekly Update, please contact any of the staff at the AASD office with the information. We appreciate your help with this – we don’t always know right away when a death has occurred or the information on services.
AASD has no information to report at this time.
- JOB POSTINGS FOR CERTIFICATED POSITIONS AND CLASSIFIED POSITIONS IN THE AASD UNIT. AASD has been asked to publish the job postings in our Weekly Update. AASD also suggests that all applicants (classified and certificated) mark their calendars to check weekly for new job postings each Monday. This way, you will not miss out on a posting you might be interested in (as all jobs in the AASD unit must be posted for 10 days). Additionally, jobs in other units will be posted.
AASD-REPRESENTED CERTIFICATED JOB POSTINGS
AASD-REPRESENTED CLASSIFIED JOB POSTINGS
None at this time.
- AASD DISTINGUISHED LEADER AWARDS. Each year, AASD honors a number of members as AASD Distinguished Leaders. Please consider nominating a colleague for AASD Distinguished Leader Award. We have wonderful co-workers throughout our AASD bargaining unit and in our retiree ranks who are worthy of recognition, and the AASD Member Relations Committee is hopeful that you will take the time to nominate someone who goes "Above and Beyond!" You can nominate a co-worker from any category. The winners will be recognized at the annual AASD Summerfest on June 15, 2018.
The following link will lead you to the nomination form. Complete the form and fax it to AASD (619-295-6274) or scan it and send it as an attachment in an email message to Jim Costello (firstname.lastname@example.org) with the subject line of "Distinguished Leader Form.” Nominations are due by April 24, 2018. Click below for a link to the form and criteria.
- NOMINATIONS FOR 2018-2019 AASD BOARD OF DIRECTORS. Nominations are being accepted now through April 25 for the following positions on the AASD Board of Directors:
Co-Chair (Classified), Member Relations Committee (Maria Moore Flagg, Retired, incumbent)
Co-Chair (Certificated), Member Relations Committee (Irene Hightower, Principal, Cabrillo Elementary, incumbent)
Co-Chair (Classified), Professional Development Committee (Mario Garcia, Translations Supervisor, Special Education)
Co-Chair (Certificated), Professional Development Committee (Eileen Moreno, Principal, Edison Elementary)
Co-Chair (Classified), Scholarship Committee (Nancy Picone, Accounts Payable Manager, Finance)
Co-Chair (Certificated), Scholarship Committee (Stacey Simpson, Vice Principal, Madison High)
Health and Welfare Representative (Certificated) (Brad Callahan, Principal, Lewis Middle, incumbent)
Health and Welfare Representative (Classified) (Phil Baertschi, Custodial Services Supervisor, Physical Plant Operations, incumbent)
Manager, Classified (Samantha Clabaugh, Operations Specialist, Quality Assurance Office, incumbent)
Plant Operations Supervisor/Building Services Supervisor III (Troy Hickey, BSS III, Pacific Beach Middle, incumbent)
Police Management Association (Jesus Montana, Sergeant, School Police, incumbent)
Principal, Elementary (Carmi Strom, Principal, Webster Elementary, incumbent)
Principal, Middle Level/K-8 (Christina Casillas, Principal, Roosevelt Middle, incumbent)
Supervisor, Classified (Paula Hamar, Supervising Rehabilitation Specialist, Mental Health Resource Center, incumbent)
Vice Principal (Jenney Nash, Vice Principal, Muirlands Middle, incumbent)
Names listed in parenthesis are incumbents who have indicated they will run again or non-incumbents who indicated they are interested in running. Even though there are incumbents or others listed for the categories above, any member may self-nominate or may be nominated by another regular AASD member in any category. After April 25, nominees will be notified to ensure that they accept the nomination and will be asked to write a brief candidate statement. Elections will be held at the May 10, 2018 AASD Membership Meeting. Nominations are being accepted in ALL categories listed, including those where the incumbent/ AASD member has already expressed interest in running.
Responsibilities of a Board of Directors member are to attend monthly Board of Directors meetings (typically the 3rd Wednesday of the month, September thru June, 3:00-4:30pm), and to be actively involved in policy making and providing input at the meeting. The Board of Directors is vested with full authority and responsibility for executive and business administration of all AASD affairs, with each member of the board having one vote. Board of Directors members are responsible for representing their constituents on matters that concern them. Terms for Directors and Co-Chairs are two-year terms. General membership meetings are held twice a year (October and May) and members of the Board of Directors are expected to attend. Board of Directors members are also highly encouraged to attend AASD social functions. Committee co-chairs also have the responsibility of effectively running their committees.
AASD is a "member-run" organization. Your participation is encouraged and crucial to the success of AASD. Please consider running for one of the positions listed.
If you are interested in running for a position or in nominating a colleague, please e-mail your nomination to AASD Executive Director, Donis Coronel by 5:00pm on April 25. (email@example.com)
AASD CELL PHONE/SCREEN CLEANER. All attendees at the AASD/SDUSD Spring Conference received a blue AASD cell phone/screen cleaner. Some of you have asked if it is re-fillable. YES, it is! To refill it:
Step 1: Remove the spray bottle from the holder by gently pulling up on the spray button. NOTE: The blue button is attached to the sprayer - do not pull the blue button off of the sprayer. Once the spray bottle is out of the holder, you can unscrew the sprayer from the bottle.
Step 2: Fill the spray bottle halfway with distilled or bottled water. (Tap water will leave streaks.)
Step 3: Fill the other half of the bottle with 70% isopropyl alcohol.
Step 4: Screw the sprayer back onto the bottle and shake the bottle to mix the solution.
This way, you can use your AASD cell phone/screen cleaner canister over and over!
- ELEMENTARY PRINCIPALS – COULD YOUR KINDERS BENEFIT FROM AASD'S 50/50 RAFFLE FUNDRAISER? If you have attended some of AASD’s social events over the years, you may have participated in the 50/50 raffle. The proceeds from the 50/50 raffle – which began in 2014 – have been used to supply incoming Kindergarten (and TK) students at a deserving elementary school with a wonderful homework kit full of school supplies.
If you would like your elementary site to be considered for the Homework Kits for the opening of the 2018-19 school year, please complete the application and send it to the AASD office to Jim Costello firstname.lastname@example.org no later than April 30, 2018. The Member Relations Committee will review the applications and select the next school(s) to receive the Homework Kits. The lucky school(s) will be announced at this year’s Summerfest event on June 15, 2018. Please click this link to access the application.
- CHECK OUT EMPOWER HOUR! The Mission of Empower Hour is “To encourage, support and inspire female educational leaders through various growth opportunities.” Empower Hour is a group for female leaders (both classified and certificated) in the San Diego education family. Current leaders, aspiring leaders, and retired leaders are welcome! Come see what it is are all about!
EMPOWER HOUR HAPPY HOUR -- May 3, 2018, 5:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m. at Casa Machado (Montgomery Airfield, Kearny Mesa, San Diego).
Come join us for an opportunity to network, inspire and support other female leaders in the education family, hear a good speaker and enjoy a great evening with colleagues! Appetizers provided, as well as door prizes! Wear your Empower Hour T-Shirt and get an extra door prize ticket (or buy a T-Shirt at the event and get an extra ticket!).
This event is sponsored by CALPRO, VEBA, Kaiser Permanente, United Healthcare, ACSA Region 18 and AASD.
Click below for more details and to sign up.
Thank you for your support of Empower Hour!
Your Empower Hour Planning Team: Donis Coronel (Planning Team Coordinator), Becky Bravo, Cori Brooks, Jennifer Carbuccia, Suzie Fore, Amy Hunt, Elizabeth Kramer, Carla Love and Randy White.
- NEW AND IMPROVED AASD WEBSITE! Our AASD website has been revamped and is now up and running! Click here www.aasdcs.org to view our website. The website will be kept up-to-date and current for all of our members (regular members, retirees and affiliate members). Visit the website to view the AASD calendar and for forms and information.
If you have any feedback on the new website, please e-mail email@example.com with your comments. We hope our new website will be a great resource for you!
- NOTICE OF CHANGE OF DATE - AASD SUMMERFEST EVENT! This event was originally scheduled for June 22. It has now been changed to June 15, 2018. Please make this change on your calendar.
- SAVE THE DATES FOR AASD EVENTS! The following dates are for AASD-sponsored activities during the 2017-18 school year. Please mark your calendar now. These events are for all AASD members - Regular, Affiliate and Retired. More information will be forthcoming regarding each event. Our union is only as strong as the membership and your participation!
May 10, 2018, 4-7 pm, AASD Spring Membership Meeting, Marina Village, Catalina Room (new location)
June 15, 2018, 5-10 pm, AASD Summerfest, Marina Village, Seaside Room
- ESTATE PLANNING – DISCOUNT FOR AASD MEMBERS! AASD is pleased to announce a new partnership with Greg Runge, Estate Planning Attorney. Greg is an estate planning attorney with approximately 10 years of experience practicing in the areas of wills, trusts, durable powers of attorney and advance health care directives. In addition to his legal work, Greg is also currently a Lieutenant with a local police department, where he is in his 18th year of service as a sworn officer. As a public employee, Greg is very aware of the unique estate planning issues that can come into play with our members. Greg has focused his legal practice on providing essential estate planning services to public employees and their families at an affordable rate. This benefit is available to all AASD Members, AASD Members-Police Management Association (PMA), AASD Affiliate Members and AASD Retired Members. Greg is offering this service to our members for a flat fee of $750, which is 50% off the going rate for estate planning (very complex or very large estates may require a higher fee that would be individually negotiated with the member). To contact Greg Runge, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or telephone (858) 395-4011 and be sure to mention you are an AASD member so you receive the discounted rate.
CONTINUED MEMBERSHIP IN THE ASSOCIATION OF CALIFORNIA SCHOOL ADMINISTRATORS (ACSA). As was reported in June 2017, the District notified AASD that they will no longer pay their share (50%) of the ACSA dues for AASD members. For the past three years, AASD and SDUSD had an agreement whereupon the District paid 50% of the cost of ACSA dues and AASD paid 50% of the cost of ACSA dues. All AASD members were then provided with membership in ACSA, as well as professional development activities, as part of the agreement. The agreement ended 6/30/2017.
There are many benefits of continuing to be an ACSA Member – as detailed in this handout (click on link). ACSA is offering a one-year special for AASD members of membership for one dollar ($1) per day. Dues are deducted 10 times a year (September-June).
If AASD members are interested in continuing membership with ACSA, please complete the application (click on link) and return it via e-mail to Deborah Burke, ACSA, at email@example.com. Please review the attached summary of benefits sheet for ACSA membership (click here).
- PERSONAL EMAIL ADDRESS. AASD communicates with members via personal e-mail address. We do not communicate via "sandi.net." If your personal email address changes, please remember to notify AASD by e-mailing our Office Clerk, Jim Costello, at Jim@aasdcs.org .
- AASD PROFESSIONAL GROWTH GRANT. The Administrators Association San Diego City Schools (AASD), in conjunction with the San Diego Unified School District, provides financial grants to members to assist them in their professional growth. Unit members who participate in professional development activities related to job-connected skills or potential careers with the District may qualify to have the cost of registration fees defrayed by available funds up to $100. This includes ACSA-sponsored Academies, Conferences and Institutes. Click here for more details.
- "BENEFIT HUB" - PLEASE NOTE THIS WEBSITE HAS CHANGED! Benefit Hub is an online discount program. All AASD members have access to thousands of discounts which allows you to save on everything from movies and theme parks to restaurants and sporting events.
This free service provides discounts to car rental companies, theme parks, hotels, and entertainment destinations (i.e., San Diego Zoo, San Diego Zoo Safari Park, Universal Studios, Sea World, etc.). Register online to take advantage of these terrific discounts. Special offers and discounts are always changing, so check back frequently. You can purchase and print tickets from the convenience of your home.
Enter the following address in the browser bar, with no leading w's - aasd.benefithub.com . Do not do a "search" for Benefit Hub as it will take you to the wrong website. Click on "Guest" at the upper right-hand side of the screen. Fill in the information and create a password. If you have any questions about registering, or encounter any problems, call the AASD office for assistance. If you have any questions about or need assistance with the Benefit Hub website, you can contact Support at (866) 664-4621.
- DISCOUNT MOVIE TICKETS. AASD has both AMC and Regal Entertainment Group (Regal/Edwards/UA) movie passes available to members. Regal tickets are $8.50 each. These passes have no expiration date and are unrestricted, so they can be used any time and for newly-released movies.
The AMC "Black" tickets are $10.25 each, have no expiration date, and do not have any restrictions. Contact AASD to purchase tickets or if you have any questions.
- SEE'S CANDIES. See's Candies gift certificates are available for purchase at AASD. A gift certificate for one pound of chocolates is now $16.90 each. They have no expiration date. The current retail amount for a pound of chocolates is $19.90, which saves you $3.00 per pound.
Administrators Association of San Diego (AASD) members qualify for quantity discounts on See's candy at the Quantity Discount Rosecrans store. To redeem your discount, show a valid ID; your AASD member card, and provide our account number 6472612. This discount is only valid at 3751 Rosecrans Street, San Diego, CA 92110.